Communications Coordinator, Senator John Heinz History Center
The Senator John Heinz History Center is the largest history museum in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and a proud affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution. The History Center presents compelling stories from American history with a Western Pennsylvania connection, all in an interactive environment perfect for visitors of every age. The 375,000 square-foot museum features six floors of long-term and changing exhibition space, including the Western Pennsylvania Sports Museum, a dynamic museum-within-a-museum that celebrates the rich tradition of sports in our region.
The Heinz History Center seeks a highly motivated, creative, results-driven Communications Coordinator to join the Communications division at the “Smithsonian’s home in Pittsburgh.”
Reporting to the Director of Marketing & Communications, the successful candidate will be an integral part of a team responsible for developing and implementing campaigns that build both on-site and virtual attendance and awareness for exhibits, programs, events, and other strategic initiatives across the History Center’s museum system, which includes the Western Pennsylvania Sports Museum, Fort Pitt Museum, and Meadowcroft Rockshelter and Historic Village.
- Plays a key role in planning and executing strategic marketing campaigns
- Writes and edits various marketing materials, including press releases, newsletter stories, brochures, spokesperson talking points, radio scripts, blog posts, and other materials as needed
- Serves as a primary media contact for the Fort Pitt Museum and Meadowcroft Rockshelter and Historic Village
- Proactively pitches compelling news stories; establishes and maintains relationships with local, regional, and national media contacts
- Assists in developing engaging content for the museum’s digital platforms, including the website, e-newsletter, and social media accounts
- Manages media databases, leads media monitoring efforts, and reports important metrics to key stakeholders throughout the organization
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, integrated marketing, public relations, journalism, or related field. Master’s degree a plus.
- 2-4 year’s of professional experience in a public relations setting (agency, non-profit, or higher education experience is a plus)
Skills and abilities
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Outlook required
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Multi-tasker who is highly organized and deadline-conscious
- Fluent in copyediting and AP style guidelines
- Tech-savvy with knowledge of social/web content writing and analytics
- Basic photo/video skills preferred
- Familiarity with WordPress, Adobe Creative Suite, and Constant Contact is a plus
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin or disability. Minorities encouraged to apply.
Qualified applicants should e-mail a cover letter (including the link to your portfolio, salary requirements and where you learned of our vacancy) resume, and three writing samples to:
Renee Falbo, Director of Human Resources
Senator John Heinz History Center
1212 Smallman Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15222