Corporate Communications Intern
Who is Michael Baker International? Why would I want to work there?
Michael Baker International provides engineering and consulting services for government, private and commercial partners, assisting in planning, architectural, environmental, construction and program management. Our employees demonstrate a world-class ability to solve complex problems. As a company, We Make a Difference.
What does a Corporate Communications Intern at Michael Baker International do?
The successful candidate will collaborate with the Corporate Communications team to support employee communications efforts (internal campaigns and messages), contribute to social media content development, media monitoring, information-gathering and research in support of short- and long-term communications initiatives.
Can you walk me through a typical day of a Corporate Communications Intern?
A typical day will include contributing to a variety of initiatives and could involve:
- Partnering with Corporate Communications team members to develop news releases
- Contributing to the development of “mini campaigns” for internal communications initiatives
- Researching internal story angles that can be converted to trade media pitches
- Joining and participating in strategy and brainstorming meetings
- Developing social media content for multiple channels
- Providing support to Corporate Communications team members on miscellaneous project
What can I expect for a career path, and where might this role take me?
Gain valuable real-world communications experience and learn from a communications team of professionals with experience in corporate and non-profit communications, agency PR and higher education.
Could you be the Corporate Communications Intern we’re looking for?
- College senior or recent graduate with a degree in communications or related field
- Minimum of one prior internship
- Ability to manage and prioritize project assignments to meet competing deadlines
- Attention to detail and strong organization, and editing skills
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and a strong collaborator
- Work independently and within a team setting to support projects and assignments
- Must be a strong writer
- Ability to contribute ideas and assist in developing strategic approaches and concepts
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, along with social media monitoring and distribution tools
- Able to work during preferred time-frame of July – October, 40 hrs/week
Other preferred skills include:
- Attention to detail
- Strong proofreader; knowledge of AP Style a plus
- Positive attitude and willingness to strengthen existing skills while learning new ones
How do I apply?
Visit the Careers page on our website, mbakerintl.com, click “Search Jobs” and enter job # 170840 and follow the instructions to apply.