Director of Communications
Girl Scouts in the Heart of Pennsylvania is committed to building girls of courage, confidence and character who make the world a better place. We are currently seeking applicants for the position of Director of Communications.
Responsible for building and maintaining the Girl Scout brand and image (to internal and external audiences) and raising community awareness of Girl Scouts and Girl Scouts in the Heart of Pennsylvania. Responsible to supervise and facilitate the work and initiatives of the Communications Team. Works collaboratively with various departments to promote Girl Scouting, build membership and cultivate community support.
- Manage all aspects of communication, public relations, and marketing while strategically incorporating both the internal (i.e. 50,000+ volunteers, parents and girls) and external audiences (i.e. local communities within a 30 county council) into the development and implementation of a comprehensive Council annual communications plan.
- The position will serve as the primary copy editor for all communications generated by Marketing & Communications.
- Establish and cultivate relationships with local and mainstream media throughout the Council’s 30-county service area.
- Field inquiries from news media and provide guidance on responding to requests for information about the Council while serving as council spokesperson as necessary and appropriate.
- Lead the communications component of the Long Range Property Plan.
- Develop and maintain the Council’s crisis communications plan.
- Proactively research stories, collect testimonials, write press releases and pitch feature articles that enhance the visibility of and brand of Girl Scouts.
- Work collaboratively with various departments to develop media campaign, communication pieces and messages that align with intended purposes.
- Drive the on time and on budget delivery of all key print materials for the Council including but not limited to: annual report, fundraising materials, recruitment materials, program partner directory and camp guide.
- Lead speech writing for Council board members, officers and staff as needed.
- Prepare appropriate Council staff for interviews with the media.
- Supervise the Communications Manager. Make recommendations for staff concerning hiring, salary changes, promotions, transfers and terminations.
- Keep abreast of national and local trends and issues in the community affecting program delivery and Council services; and GSUSA changes, trends, and requirements related to the Girl Scout program.
- Participates in the Council’s strategic planning and budgeting processes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in a related field
- Five years management and supervisory experience
- Experience creating communications plans to include input from multiple departments and encompassing social media
- Experience managing a multifaceted communications team
- Goal-oriented leader to guide and direct the growth of Girl Scouts
- Experience in working with diverse populations of staff and volunteers
- Demonstrated abilities in planning, management and supervision,
- High level of interpersonal skills, strong verbal and written communication skills, as well as community networking skills
- Strong motivational, organizational, and problem solving skills
- Proven teambuilding skills and demonstrated ability to function as a positive an active team member
- Car and valid driver’s license necessary to carry out assignments
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and/or weekends.
- Ability and willingness to travel throughout the council as needed
- Ability to work cooperatively in furtherance of stated goals
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Windows and Office software
- Ability to lift 30 pounds
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time
This position is based in our Harrisburg office. Extensive travel throughout our thirty county service area will be required.
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter at: