Communications and Marketing Manager, The Mattress Factory
Full-time, exempt position.
Reports to: Chief Advancement and Strategic Initiatives Officer
Supervises: Digital Content and Marketing Associate, Intern(s)
The Mattress Factory, a contemporary art museum on the North Side of Pittsburgh founded in 1977. We feature site-specific installations created by artists in residence from around the world.
Working closely with the Chief Advancement and Strategic Initiatives Officer and Interim Executive Director, the Communications and Marketing Manager leads promotion of the Mattress Factory and its exhibitions, collection, artist residency, programs and activities to local, national and international media (print, electronic and broadcast) and oversees all aspects of digital engagement, marketing and advertising in support of the museum’s mission.
Through proactive, positive and energetic outreach to news and media partners and friendly, timely and collaborative support of museum colleagues, the Communications and Marketing Manager works to build brand awareness and drive attendance, sales and fundraising goals.
This position is responsible for developing, implementing and measuring the Mattress Factory’s marketing, communications and public relations activities. They help to tell the Mattress Factory’s story through informative and engaging external communications including social media, web, email blasts and e-newsletters, advertising, print and video.
They are responsible for building and maintaining strong relationships with members of the media, community partners, vendors, artists and staff.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Works with Chief Advancement and Strategic Initiatives Officer to plan overall marketing and public relations strategies for the museum; manages timelines and production to meet or exceed shared goals.
- Secures local, regional, national, and international media coverage of the museum’s exhibitions, public programs, fundraising activities and other important events.
- Understands, helps define, and ensures adherence to communication standards.
- Is responsible for museum and exhibition-related advertising strategies and confirming media buys with all participants including curators, artists and funders as appropriate.
- Negotiates media sponsorships for exhibitions, events and programs.
- Writes press releases, pitch letters, fact sheets, media alerts and other forms of media and public outreach.
- Works with Graphic Designer. Supervises production of print collateral and internal and external signage and helps ensure design continuity for advertising and marketing campaigns.
- Manages production and develops content for semi-annual newsletter and e-news alerts for distribution to members, funders, press and the general public.
- Manages website and blog; ensures high-quality, timely content.
- Collects and analyzes data to assess PR and marketing efforts to inform future strategy.
- Works collaboratively with museum colleagues to develop materials to grow membership and attendance, enhance visitor experience and drive revenue in shop and café.
- Coordinates with Exhibitions, Education, Membership and Archives departments and outside vendors to complete photo documentation of all installations and exhibitions and artist programs.
- Supervises Digital Content and Communications Associate and department intern(s).
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations or a related field or relevant experience required.
- Proven experience Interacting with and pitching stories to the media.
- Highly skilled in planning and conducting marketing and communications campaigns. Knowledge of non-profit brand building preferred.
- Knowledge of arts and culture press is important. Nonprofit experience, particularly in visual arts, is preferred as is knowledge of local and national arts and audience trends.
- Excellent, demonstrated skills in writing, editing, interpersonal and oral communication.
- Ability to manage competing demands in a creative and evolving environment.
- Ability to function effectively as team member and a willingness to participate in activities and assignments that help meet shared goals.
- Skill in navigating different personality types among internal and external constituencies.
- Highly organized and detail oriented; accuracy is a MUST.
- Must be a people person – approachable, even-tempered and solutions oriented.
- Adaptable and eager to learn.
- Advanced skill in WordPress, Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Cloud Suite.
The Mattress Factory is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The museum is committed to workplace diversity and to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status
To apply, interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please put “Communications and Marketing Manager” in the subject line. No calls, please.