Communications Director, YMCA of Greater Pittsburgh
Under the direction of the Senior Vice President, Mission Advancement and collaborating closely with the Senior Vice President of Operations, the Communications Director works across the Association and its various communications platforms to ensure that the YMCA of Greater Pittsburgh’s communication needs are met in a strategically coordinated, prioritized, brand-consistent fashion. This collaborative leader guarantees that all audiences hear YMCA of Greater Pittsburgh speaking in a clear, compelling and cohesive single voice that is tied to the organization’s goals and objectives and the national brand platform. Incumbent will be required to work closely with the Marketing Director.
- Build a culture of storytelling among employees and volunteers that effectively supports and communicates the Y’s impact in our community.
- Develop and implement strategic and tactical integrated communications plans, consistent with the Y’s brand and voice, to build retention and inform target audiences, as well as promote local and national campaigns and events.
- Supports a team approach to coordinated, creative and strategic communications that advance organizational objectives.
- Working cross-functionally, identify and develop content strategy, plans and tools for the website, blogs, member communications, the annual report, other communications and special events that support the philanthropic and marketing goals of the Y.
- Track performance of communications’ strategies and campaigns through measurement and analysis to understand effectiveness and ROI.
- Working collaboratively with Marketing Director and Branches, assist with development of collateral content (e.g. key messages, media talking points, program and development materials, press releases, presentations, press kits, and annual report) to ensure consistency with brand messaging and linkage to targeted programs designed to influence both broad audiences and key stakeholders.
- Lead all public relations and media relations efforts to develop and communicate the organization’s messages to employees, key stakeholders, media, and consumers, through a variety of avenues, including: community outreach and promotions, articles, social media, interviews, press releases, and other elements. May also act as spokesperson when appropriate, and support executives for media interview through coaching and preparation.
- Engage with media outlets and targeted journalists in key markets to pitch, create, and take advantage of opportunities for organizational leaders at the national and international level to establish organization as thought leader in youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
- Manage crisis communications process and execution providing messaging to senior management surrounding key company events, including natural disasters and general crises.
- Direct all internal and external communication activities including crisis communications.
- Create content and develop others to assist with the identification and creation of content that supports the Y’s communication strategy.
- Develop and design materials to support various philanthropic initiatives throughout the year including annual campaign, capital campaigns and special projects.
- Assume responsibility for content, design, production and distribution of Y publications to support communications and donor relations, including the annual report and other publications as needed.
- Lead and manage the planning, development and implementation of all Y communications strategies with a special emphasis on communication with members, donors and volunteers.
- Develop and lead email and social media strategy to support Annual Giving initiatives throughout the year.
- Create a library of mission-driven stories, photos, and videos to support the Mission Advancement Department in communicating our cause.
- Provide support of the Y’s internet and intranet capabilities for external customers and internal employees.
- Provide content to support short and long-term digital strategy and impact.
- Build public relations campaigns that support the Y’s strategic objectives and create greater visibility to position the Y as a leader in the community.
- Develop and lead corporate and community sponsorship campaigns on behalf of the Y.
- Develop and maintain strategic alliances with key providers and other community groups.
- Ensure strategic organizational issues are addressed in a brand consistent, coordinated fashion.
- Plan, manage and adhere to an annual budget.
- Coordinate media interest on the organization’s behalf, and deliver regular contact with target media with prompt, appropriate response to media requests. Present at all major events to manage media.
- Act as the organization’s representative in conjunction with the CEO and other leadership, as appropriate.
- Support CEO and leadership with speech writing and public messaging.
- Provide internal counsel and guidance to leaders on communications as well as donor and public relations matters.
- Provide other duties as assigned
- BA/BS degree and minimum of 3-5 years of successful professional experience in communications and/or public relations management required.
- Strong creative writing, editing, proofreading, layout and design, professional printing/publishing skills are essential, including ability to present concepts verbally.
- Experience with creating brand messaging, narrative writing and storytelling, as well as writing annual reports or comparable marketing collateral.
- Experience in crisis management.
- Strong knowledge of current trends in digital media/social media including proficiency with web-based media monitoring services.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills, web editing and publishing skills, basic video making and editing.
- Demonstrated success in building a corporate social media presence.
- Valid driver’s license and access to reliable vehicle for travel throughout Allegheny County. Occasional trips beyond Allegheny County will be required.
- Experience working with volunteers.
- Able to balance competing priorities, complex situations and tight deadlines.
- Excellent listener with ability to ask leading questions.
- Must be a confident communicator and presenter.
- Effective in using influence and effective collaboration skills.
- Must possess excellent organizational and project planning/management skills.
- Self-motivated with a positive and professional approach to management.
Physical Working Conditions:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to stand; walk on uneven surfaces; sit; handle or feel objects; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must be able to lift up to 50 pounds. The employee may be exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level is usually minimal to moderate.
This description is a summary of the functions of this position. Other duties may be assigned as needed. The YMCA of Greater Pittsburgh reserves the right to review and adjust this job description as business needs dictate.
Salary Range: Min: $51, 116 Mid: $63,896 Max: $76,657
Send resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: October 5, 2018