The Communications Manager for Washington & Jefferson College manages both internal and external communication. This individual will collaborate with key stakeholders across campus to create content that drives awareness and reinforces W&J’s brand personality. A master of AP style, the Communications Manager should have the ability to expeditiously gather facts and produce both long and short form material. Collaborating with the leadership this individual will serve as the lead liaison for creation and distribution of press releases to media outlets nationwide.
The Communications Manager will serve as the primary ambassador for the internal communications strategy, leading trainings on both industry best practices and proprietary communication protocols when appropriate. The manager will collaborate with leadership to create new internal communication policies. This individual will be responsible for the creation, execution, regulation and measurement of messaging to all W&J audiences, including overseeing content on the College’s intranet, and other communication platforms.
The manager will ideate and coordinate communications materials including but not limited to student-focused news articles, videos, photos, and social media posts. In addition to content creation and training duties, the Communications Manager will help to regulate proper use of the style guide across campus.
Supervising student workers within the Office of Communication and Marketing, this individual will also serve as the staff liaison for the Student Government Association’s communication committee. This Manager may also serve on other college committees and work on additional projects which support communication efforts, as needed. While this individual reports to the Senior Director of Communication & Marketing, they will serve as a primary liaison with student life.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Write, edit, and proofread publications according to the AP Stylebook and the W&J style and usage guide.
- Write, edit, proofread, prepare and distribute college-wide press releases and media alerts to local media outlets.
- Provide writing, editing, and proofreading support to departments as needed.
- Manage media services which includes the development and preservation of professional relationships with members of the media, the prompt response to media inquiries, tracking media coverage, and assisting with escorting reporters on campus.
- Respond to crisis communication needs in collaboration with administration.
- Create, monitor and maintain of communication policies.
- Train of other W&J community members on internal communication practices.
- Track the analytics of W&J e-newsletters and internal emails.
- Provide oversight of the College’s PrezPoint social media platforms.
- Coordinate strategic communication initiatives for the Division of Student Life: Student Handbook, Insider’s Guide, Cleary Security report, retention committee and more.
- Develop content management for internal messaging.
- Convene and lead the SGA Communications Committee to incorporate student voice and insight into projects. Lead/mentor student communication committees and co-lead college-wide committees as needed.
- Create and send campus announcements and assist in drafting emergency communications.
- Promote and provide media coverage of campus events. Contribute to the W&J Magazine and other content marketing needs.
- Assist in communication of strategies or messages from senior leadership.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, or related field.
- 3-5 years of experience in Public Relations
- Three years of working in higher education and/or an agency.
- Experience in professional Journalism a plus.
- Experience in student communication, graphic communications, and event marketing preferred.
- Exceptional communication abilities including writing, speaking, and active listening.
- Presentation skills.
- Great project management skills, including time management, goal-setting, multitasking and prioritization.
- Working knowledge of MS Office.
- Working knowledge of photo and video-editing software is an asset.
- Knowledge of Adobe Suite is a plus.
- High level of organization and great attention to detail.
- Ability to work weekends and weeknights as needed.
This position supervises student workers with communication responsibilities in the Office of Communication and Marketing. Mentors/guides student communication committees and co-leads college-wide committees as needed.
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the position.
Job Description Status
The duties and responsibilities listed in this job description are illustrative ones anticipated for this position. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned as required. Washington & Jefferson College reserves the right to amend or change this job description to meet the needs of its programs. This job description and any attachments do not constitute or represent a contract.
Apply for this job at https://washjeff.applicantpro.
Washington & Jefferson College offers a comprehensive benefit package for benefit eligible employees; including health, vision, and dental coverage, group life insurance, AD&D and LTD coverage, retirement plan, generous leave time, and the tuition benefit programs. These benefits add significantly to the employee’s total compensation package.
Getting to Know W&J
Washington & Jefferson College is the best of both worlds: a small-town college setting in historic Washington, Pa., with easy access to the bustling business and cultural districts of nearby Pittsburgh, Pa. just 30 miles to the north. Founded in 1781, W&J College is a private, residential liberal arts college that is focused on student success. Our dedicated, experienced professors are passionate about teaching and work closely with our students to ensure that they receive a quality, comprehensive education. For more than 200 years, our alumni have influenced change in business, politics, medicine, and the arts and sciences as CEOs, lawyers, doctors, researchers, writers, teachers, and in many other equally worthy professions.
Washington & Jefferson College welcomes people of all backgrounds and beliefs who wish to participate in a diverse educational community. The College strives to be a place where all students, faculty, administrators and employees are able to live, study and work in an atmosphere free from bias and harassment. The College encourages civil debate and lively exchange of ideas in the belief that such exchanges promote understanding that will grow beyond simple tolerance of difference to embracing and celebrating the richness of diversity. Our graduates acquire knowledge and learn skills that help them thrive in a culturally diverse world.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Washington & Jefferson College (W&J) is committed to increasing diversity in our community and actively pursues individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, W&J College complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and provides equal opportunity in all educational programs and activities, admission of students and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, gender identity, or national origin.