Director of Marketing and Public Relations, The Salvation Army Western PA Division
Supervisor/Department Head: Development Director
Responsible for the development and implementation of integrated marketing and communication strategies that advances the organization’s resource development, brand and community engagement goals for the Western Pennsylvania division of The Salvation Army, which is headquartered in Carnegie and serves 28 counties. Must cultivate and maintain community relationships through promotion, networking and media contacts. Supports members of the Development staff and field officers to enhance their individual fundraising programs.
• Advertising Campaigns – Responsible for creating economical advertising campaigns that promote The Salvation Army and its services through Broadcast TV, radio and digital outlets. Solicits advertising campaign opportunities that collaborate with an underwriter to receive optimum electronic or print promotions at no cost.
• Media Relations – Write and distribute press releases, build strong and productive relationships with reporters and media partners, pitch human interest stories, schedule interviews, monitor media mentions and keeps media informed on all programs, events and key developments within the organization.
• Social Media Campaigns – Responsible for developing social media ad campaigns and organic posts for Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
• Website Content – Responsible for monitoring website and working with Graphic & Website Design Manager to provide updated content, program descriptions, event listings and stories.
• Special Fundraising Events – Oversee the design of marketing materials relative to special fundraising events including invitations, programs, emails, videos and websites. Secures speakers, entertainment, writes scripts and promotes event to the public.
• Special Publications – Produce, edit and distribute specialized publications to promote programs and services, such as the annual report, donor updates, fact sheets and the Divisional newsletter.
• Community Relations – Keeps key stakeholders throughout the Division aware of The Salvation Army and its programs. Maintaining positive and fruitful relations with elected officials, community leaders, corporations and government entities.
• Crisis Management – Work in conjunction with DHQ leadership to best remedy potentially damaging incidents throughout the Division. Develops proactive crisis communications plan and facilitates spokesperson training.
• Disasters – Serves as the Public Information Officers for emergency disaster situations. Serves as liaison with media and distributed information to media and public in relation to The Salvation Army’s presence and role in the disaster.
• Internal Communications – Keeps internal staff and officers informed with event updates and issues of PR concerns.
• Staff Management – Supervises Graphic and Website Design Manager and Marketing Interns. Manages relationship with marketing, digital and direct mail consultants.
• Christmas Activities Promotions – Responsible for coordinating and distributing a Calendar of Events that serves as the backbone of all Christmas events. Gathers kettle revenue information from all Western PA Corps and regularly promote deficits and needs to appropriate media.
• Other Duties – Assume other responsibilities as directed by the Director of Development and/or the Divisional Commander.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of marketing and public relation services
• Excellent writing ability
• Communicates effectively, both orally and in writing, in a timely manner
• Strong organization and interpersonal skils
• Ability to determine appropriate course of action in complex situations
• Ability to build strong and long-lasting media relationships
• Some television production experience
• Skilled with on-camera, written and audio interviews
• Experience with a media wire service
• Experience with media buying
• Must successfully complete The Salvation Army’s KeepSAfe required training
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations or related field
• Minimum of 5 years of relevant marketing and public relations experience
• Demonstrates success in implementing media campaigns and successful working relationships with the press
• Experience working closely with senior level executives
• Must be available on-call, 24 hours, 7 days a week
To apply, send resumes to Fran Brace at firstname.lastname@example.org