Job Description Summary:
Duquesne Light is seeking an experienced External Communications Associate to join its growing Communications, ESG and Corporate Giving team! The ideal candidate will be passionate about telling DLC’s story to external audiences, including the news media, customers, stakeholders and partners, focused on our community efforts; reliability and innovation projects; and mission to create a healthier and more equitable future through a clean energy transition.
This individual will also be a main point of contact for the news media and will support the External Communications Supervisor and Director of Communications during severe weather events and other situations that may significantly impact service to our customers.
About Duquesne Light
Duquesne Light Company, headquartered in downtown Pittsburgh, is a leader in providing electric energy and has been in the forefront of the electric energy market, with a history rooted in technological innovation and superior customer service. Today, the company continues its role as a leader in the transmission and distribution of electric energy, providing a secure supply of reliable power to more than half a million customers in southwestern Pennsylvania.
Duquesne Light Company is committed to creating a culture of inclusion. We value and respect the unique differences and experiences of our employees. We believe that our differences lead to better collaboration, innovation and outcomes. We want you to join our team!
The External Communications Associate will support strategic efforts to enhance and maintain the DLC brand through channels that are relevant to customers, the media and key external stakeholders. This individual will work closely with the Internal Communications team to develop and execute initiatives that tell the DLC story across various channels. Additionally, the chosen candidate will:
- Enhance media monitoring and reporting efforts to ensure the timely capture and dissemination of news and information to key internal and external audiences.
- Track daily media coverage and help find new ways to create a positive public narrative around the company.
- Develop and maintain a positive working relationship with local media and various industry outlets.
- Draft and distribute press releases and media advisories.
- Support DLC’s thought leadership efforts by crafting key messages and talking points for executives and subject matter experts prior to interviews, speaking engagements and other events.
- Help arrange media interviews and assist with preparation, occasionally with short notice; attend interviews in a supporting role and provide feedback/follow-up information when needed.
- Draft and distribute media statements for various topics and serve as a media lead during severe weather events.
- Manage the team’s on-call media schedule.
- Represent External Communications in meetings with various internal groups and external partners/agencies, and at certain in-person events.
- Work closely with Internal Communications and other team members to ensure that messaging is consistent and on brand across different channels.
- Assist with maintaining the newsroom on DLC’s website, including contributing original articles; occasionally assist with monitoring and posting on the company’s social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram).
- Support DLC’s sister companies (The Efficiency Network and DQE Communications) with marketing and public relations needs when needed.
- Ensure external visibility of key corporate partnerships.
- In conjunction with earned media outreach, support development of advertising strategies to amplify company’s positive impact
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, journalism or communications.
- Minimum of 3+ years of experience in public relations or external/corporate communications.
- Must have media relations management experience.
- Must be available to work outside normal business hours when needed, either remotely or on-site.
- Experience working in large, complex organizations.
- Ability to work well with multiple teams and stakeholders simultaneously.
- Ability to build credibility and strong relationships with members of the media and key external stakeholders and partners.
- Outstanding communication skills, including writing, listening and personal presence.
- Ability to make sound judgments and maintain poise and focus in high-pressure situations.
- Outstanding attention to detail, excellent organization skills, ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and strong problem-solving skills.
- Experience developing and implementing successful marketing communication strategies and plans.
- Ability to handle sensitive, confidential information with care and professionalism.
- Ability to quickly adapt as circumstances change.
- Ability to work rapidly and meet deadlines under pressure.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Maintain high work standards and business ethics.
- Advanced social media knowledge a plus.
- Crisis and/or issues management experience is preferred.
- Must possess a positive attitude and strong values that fit with DLC’s core values:
- Energized to shape the future;
- Bold in thinking and exploration of new possibilities;
- Collaborative in approaching all challenges;
- Responsible in commitment to safety, management of assets and finances and interaction with others;
- Selfless in serving the community, both on the job and through volunteerism.
- Location: This position is hybrid/on-site. Work is mostly remote/location independent, and in-person work is driven by occasional role-specific tasks and critical business processes as directed by the immediate Supervisor or Manager.
- Physical Requirements: Normal office environment with occasional need to travel to field locations while adhering to all required safety policies and procedures.
Interested candidates should apply via Duquesne Light’s job portal.
Duquesne Light is an Equal Opportunity Employer
DUQUESNE LIGHT HOLDINGS, INC. (DLH) IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. DLH’S POLICY IS TO NOT DISCRIMINATE AGAINST ANY APPLICANT OR EMPLOYEE BASED ON RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, CREED, SEX, PREGNANCY OR RELATED MEDICAL CONDITIONS, AGE (40 AND OVER), SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY/EXPRESSION, VETERAN STATUS, PAST, CURRENT OR FUTURE MILITARY SERVICE, NATIONAL ORIGIN OR ANCESTRY, PHYSICAL OR MENTAL DISABILITY, GENETIC INFORMATION, OR ANY OTHER CONSIDERATION PROTECTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. DLH ALSO PROHIBITS HARASSMENT OF APPLICANTS OR EMPLOYEES BASED ON ANY OF THESE PROTECTED CATEGORIES.