At Peoples Natural Gas, a subsidiary of Essential Utilities, Inc., we are more than just an energy provider. We are a company that is truly passionate about serving our customers.
Peoples Natural Gas is an energy company in Pennsylvania, providing Western Pennsylvania with clean, safe and reliable natural gas for more than 130 years and has a combined workforce of almost 1,300 employees. Peoples has been a committed partner and leader in the natural gas industry, currently providing reliable energy to more than 700,000 customers. Our vision of Making Lives Better is redefining the way we serve our customers. We are committed to being an environmental leader utilizing technology and innovation to create cleaner, more reliable energy sources.
Job Summary – What You Will Do:
You will help us protect and build a positive reputation for Peoples Natural Gas by developing and executing impactful external and media relations strategies. Peoples is part of Essential Utilities family of companies. Your role and responsibilities will include:
- Developing an in-depth understanding of the Peoples Natural Gas business priorities
- Uncovering/securing unique media opportunities that support the business objectives – including but not limited to promoting new business initiatives, community outreach, and executive / thought leadership.
- Serving as primary media contact and spokesperson
- Managing ongoing issues / crisis / litigation communications and incident response; includes developing and maintaining a comprehensive issues / crisis management plan, stakeholder materials and reactive media responses
- Serving as a strategic media adviser for C-Level and functional leaders. Providing counsel, preparation materials and media training, as needed
- Maintaining a rich understanding of industry best practices, industry news / developments and emerging trends to inform media relations strategy and provide anticipatory executive support
- Continually monitoring and measuring media coverage – and adjusting program as needed for maximum impact and reach
- Participating in operations and management meetings to stay informed and update cross functional teams
- Collaborating with community and industry partners on media relations and outreach initiatives
- Partnering with the Peoples Communications Manager – and closely collaborating with the Aqua Communications and Essential Corporate Communications Teams – to ensure an integrated enterprise approach
- Researching / writing compelling media materials (including but not limited to: media pitches, news releases, media statements, talking points, Q&As, fact sheets, Op-Eds, and speeches)
- Managing agency partner(s)
What You Will Love:
- Being empowered to add value from day one! As the subject matter expert in media relations/external communications, you’ll have the opportunity to lead Peoples’ media strategy, while working with a collaborative team.
- Being part of a culturally diverse and inclusive workforce
- Our customer- and employee-focused culture
- Industry-leading benefits and professional development opportunities
Basic Qualifications – What You Will Bring:
- Bachelor’s degree (preferably in a Communications, Journalism or Marketing-related discipline) – or closely related experience
- A minimum of 8 years of professional experience
- Experience in the gas or utilities industries preferred
- Successful track record implementing strategic media relations programs
- Strong media judgment and acumen, particularly when dealing with sensitive issues
- Experience as an on-camera spokesperson
- Strong Pittsburgh media relationships preferred
- Successful track record developing message maps, media statements, and narratives
- Strategic and quick thinker who can remain calm in crisis situations and works well under pressure
- Strong familiarity with media analysis and monitoring tools
- Strong presentation skills and experience providing communications counsel to senior leadership
- Passion for media and consuming news, in all forms, through a variety of channels
- Team player who thrives in a collaborative and fast-paced environment
- Must be able to work off-hours with media and internal teams during incidents/crises – i.e., nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) and overtime as needed
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Outlook)
- A valid U.S. driver’s license as the position may require driving a company vehicle to events.
Are you a leader that wants to take your career to the next level? Let’s talk!
Peoples is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and inclusive workforce. We strongly encourage applications from women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons, regardless of an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law.
Peoples Natural Gas is committed as an equal opportunity employer. To maintain the integrity of the recruitment process and to avoid real or perceived conflicts of interest due to employment and/or assignment of family members and personal referrals, specific guidelines apply to the hiring and assignment of these individuals, including, but not limited to:
- Family members cannot result in a supervisor/subordinate reporting relationship
- Family members cannot work in the same department