WHO WE ARE
Michael Baker International is a leading provider of architectural, engineering and consulting services, including design, planning, environmental, construction and program management. The company provides its comprehensive range of services and solutions to support U.S. federal, state, and municipal governments, foreign allied governments, and a wide range of commercial clients. Michael Baker’s more than 3,000 employees across nearly 100 locations are committed to a culture of innovation, collaboration and technological advancement to help solve challenges for clients and communities throughout the country. To learn more, visit https://mbakerintl.com/.
Michael Baker International understands that people require choices in where they want to begin to build a sustainable future. For more than 80 years, Michael Baker International has maintained an entrepreneurial work environment that fosters great careers, which ultimately has brought great success to the organization. Michael Baker offers many opportunities to help you grow professionally to build your career. Whether it is in Finance, IT, Human Resources, Technology, Communications, Proposal Production, Legal or our National Practice and Market segments, take your next step with us and help make a difference in the lives of those you work with and those we serve.
Michael Baker International is seeking a Public Relations Specialist to join the team in our downtown Pittsburgh headquarters office. The successful candidate will work closely with the Public Relations Manager to identify and pitch story ideas to industry trade publications and local media outlets to highlight the firm’s work across more than a dozen practices and specialty areas, differentiating it for current and prospective clients and employees.
Our Public Relations Specialist will Make a Difference by supporting our Corporate Communications team by building the Michael Baker International brand by conveying the firm’s project stories, innovations, and the expertise of our colleagues to external audiences.
- Position Michael Baker and its experts as thought leaders through the development of bylines and earned media placements
- Highlight Michael Baker’s people, projects, and innovations to differentiate the Company in industry trade outlets and business media
- Develop key messages and prepare spokespersons for interviews; facilitate interviews and follow-up with reporters
- Conduct focused outreach to elevate the Michael Baker brand in trade and local media in key regions and states
- Contribute to the Company’s industry award process through the development and submission of award entries with national and regional associations
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Marketing, English, or related writing-intensive field
- 3-5 years of experience in business-to-business (B2B) trade and national media outreach, ideally in a corporate and/or agency setting
- Brings a start-up mentality and entrepreneurial spirit to the position, complemented by an understanding of what it takes to deliver real, measurable results within a large corporation
- Exhibits a sense of urgency to consistently identify strong stories to pitch to media to increase awareness and understanding of the differentiating services Michael Baker offers
- Is a strong writer and editor who can develop a variety of communications materials, including news releases, media pitches, shepherd thought leadership articles to publication in trade outlets and award submissions, among other pieces
- Can work collaboratively across the organization, at all levels, to own story development, thought leadership writing/placement and interview preparation for spokespersons
- Provide collaborative counsel to internal clients on the potential newsworthiness of stores and how to navigate the media landscape
- Will track and report results against goals
- Is a tenacious self-starter who can handle multiple projects simultaneously, has exceptional attention to detail and deadlines, excels in a highly collaborative team environment and on his/her own
- Excels at building relationships that engender trust and confidence in colleagues, business partners and clients through superior service
- Elementary knowledge of design is a plus