Communications Manager, Thermo Fisher Scientific
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
We are a leading manufacturer of controlled environmental laboratory equipment, which advances the prevention and cure of disease and enhances the quality of life.
The Communications Manager is responsible for internal communications strategy and execution for the Fisher Scientific Channel, North America to include leadership messaging, organizational communication planning, change management support, iConnect and other electronic media, town hall preparation, and communication support for varied business initiatives. Collaboration and alignment with Corporate Communications and other internal communications resources (e.g., Group-level) is a critical element of the role. In addition, the role is responsible for internal and external communications for the Thermo Fisher Scientific sites in Pittsburgh. The position reports to the Customer Channels (CCG), Director of Communications and supports the President of the Fisher Scientific Channel, North America and Emerging Markets.
- Working closely with CCG Internal Communications and Fisher Scientific Channel, North America leadership, establish targeted internal communications strategy and mechanisms to deliver overall strategic and operational messaging to employees and help to drive employee involvement for the Division.
- Serve as liaison with Corporate Communications team: reinforce companywide messages and standards; support Corporate Communications initiatives; raise awareness of developments that should be elevated to the corporate level or communicated companywide.
- Create timely content for the intranet, electronic signage and internal social media (Yammer), company news and features that help support the company’s vision and core values.
- Researches opportunities for news and feature articles from the Group and Division designed to engage multiple audiences. Writes, edits and videotapes articles to deliver accurate, compelling content while meeting deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Edits submissions from other departments or individuals to clarify content and to ensure adherence to appropriate style and voice.
- Provides editing and writing assistance to support internal communications across a variety of channels and platforms.
- Works closely with the Internal Communications Manager, Intranet & Content Specialist to help maintain the Division intranet sites to ensure they remain useful and engaging for employee audiences. Keeps current with emerging technologies and applies them as appropriate.
- Protects and enhances the company reputation through external Pittsburgh visibility efforts.
- Work collaboratively with the Corporate Communications team to deliver overall strategic messaging to employees and help drive employee involvement.
- Develops Leadership Communications for President, Fisher Scientific Channel, North America and Emerging Markets
- Manages Pittsburgh site-related internal communications, including local signage content, Three Rivers Connection newsletter, etc.
- Develops, manages and implements external Pittsburgh visibility and community relations plan.
- Manages other communication projects including executive letters and emails, newsletters, video scripts and news releases. Assists with planning, coordination, facility / equipment set up of Town Halls.
- Assists with conducting employee surveys to measure effectiveness of communications vehicles and activities.
- Serves as an iConnector in Pittsburgh.
- Assists with collection, analysis and reporting of metrics to evaluate and improve effectiveness of communications tactics.
- Utilizes SubscriberMail to manage distribution of employee emails.
- Minimum Requirements / Qualifications
- Must have a BA/BS degree in communications, journalism, public relations, English or a closely-related field.
5-10 years of experience planning and executing communications strategies.
- Fluent in English with proven ability to communicate effectively.
- Demonstrated ability for successful project management, audience assessment, internal client management and employee engagement.
- Exceptional writing skills that conform to Associated Press (AP) style. Strong editorial and proofreading skills, and proven experience with editing.
- Strong media relationships and skills, particularly with local Pittsburgh media.
- Must possess exceptional verbal and written communication skills, strong business acumen, interpersonal skills, be team-oriented, a consensus builder and a persuasive communicator.
- Advanced experience working with Word, PowerPoint, SharePoint and Yammer.
- Community relations experience and demonstrated ability to build mutually beneficial relationships with partner organizations.
- Strong ability to prioritize competing demands with attention to detail.
- Audio and video experience preferred.
- Experience with electronic signage system (Navori) preferred.
- Able to work flexible hours including holidays, weekends, early mornings and evenings consistent with business needs across varying time zones and global assignments.
- Ability to travel as needed.